Sunday, October 20, 2013

Dear Congresswoman Noem: About that back pay for furloughed workers . . .

       . . . I see that federal workers who were furloughed during the shutdown will receive back pay for the days they missed.  That seems reasonable enough to me, but I'm wondering, is there any way that private sector workers who were effectively furloughed by the loss of business incurred during the shutdown can get their back pay too?  My lodging business was down somewhere between 30%-40% during the shutdown of National Parks in western South Dakota, so naturally my housekeeping staff lost a proportionate amount of pay due to lack of available work.  As you were an instigator of the shutdown and a proponent of extending it, I feel you have some responsibility for the financial discomfort incurred as a result.
     The loss of revenues dedicated to my fixed expenses and some operating costs (utilities, primarily) will also affect my bottom line, of course, but I'll be able to deal with them and ask for no assistance in meeting those obligations.  However, as my payroll is directly dependent on work created by tourists occupying rooms, I think it's only reasonable that as long as the U.S. government is caring enough to extend salaries to federal workers affected by the shutdown that privately employed workers receive the same consideration.
     Please feel free to contact me through the comments section of this blog regarding this matter.  Thanking you in advance, John Tsitrian.  
          

No comments:

Post a Comment